Friday, November 30, 2007

Jenny's Taking a shower

and Elma is doing homework.

I was looking forward to seeing the old man there,
at the front desk as I've seen him a few times before.

The last time i saw him i was taking out the trash, one last time, and i struck a conversation. He seemed weary at first, then he opened up a little.
He had a deep Filipino accent; kinda like Daryll's dad.
His eyes opened wider and wider as we talked about sandwiches,
and i disappointed him when i said we were already closed, and that we didn't sell anything but coffee and "bread."
As i walked away he seemed to go back to his depressed mood,
i thought, maybe, i was the highlight of his day as he was for me -- The work day at least.

I told myself that i would bring him a coffee and a pastry,
he looked hungry last time.

he wasn't there this time, but i'm closing tomorrow.
We'll see.

1 comment:

Jenny June2 said...

this is a very insightful encounter in it's own way. complete simplicity yet... there's something more to it.


p.s. i love your title, mostly b/c my name is mentioned.^_^ hahaha