Thursday, December 6, 2007

Old Tree (1.0)

"You distract me more when you're not around then when you are, face to face or online."

So I'm doing my math homework right now,
I don't get a single bit of it.
I really don't like math, luckily I'm a History/Social Science/Philosophy major.
(My counselors still haven't made it clear to me)

I thought I would write today about the tree just beyond my computer desk window.
As i sit now, i can see branches protruding out of another condo.
I can see a glimpse of the beige railing, that would take me towards the concrete walkway that guides us, whom live in the condos and don't, through a peaceful path to the asphalt. I see a white truck beyond the tree, and around the concrete walk way i see green grass that is of a bright nature. I see many more things, but that is what I see at first glance.
The tree is something significant to me.
For the past six weeks it has reminded me of the coming weather, of the coming disputes, and arguments, and experiences i will have.
It does this by shedding its colorful leaves, that slowly glide down with a swishing, left-to-right motion and gently land on the red curb.
It has always done this, year after year, from the beginning of my stay here, 11 or so years ago.
I have always though that this was here for me.
Not just for me, actually i presume that it was planted there for so many reasons
and me not being one of them.
But since the time i have first moved here to today, I've noticed that it has become more and more significant to me.
It speaks to me and tells me of its wisdom, it's experience, and it's loves.
It tells me of all these wonderful things at just a glance, when i get in my car, and a moment where i pass it either to get to my garage or to leave it.
It is always there for me and i always come back.
This a special tree that i have not shared with anyone, not even myself;
not until Monday, when i passed it walking my dog.
I remembered that only this year its leaves had changed and fell in, what seemed to be, a day. maybe it was a week, or maybe it took all year, but to I, I realized it in one day;
One moment as i walked passed it.
In one moment i realized it.

I look at it;
it's old leaves, its sturdy branches, it's swaying motion.
Today it does not speak to me,
it chooses not to.
Today it chooses to say nothing and to serve as a symbol for me.
Tomorrow it may speak, the day after, or this could be the last thing it would say to me.
Maybe today is has taught its last lessons,
but today,
as the wind blows it's brown, yellow, an blush leaves around like a whisk does to the cream of a cake,
it does not speak because it chooses to teach me a lesson by saying nothing.
it chooses to teach me infinite lessons by saying nothing,
but by being.

Today, he has taught me a lesson about love.


3 comments:

Jane said...

I've read this almost ten times. I really like it... the most simple object can teach us so much. Others would have seen the old tree as just a tree, but truly gifted eyes are able to see more that its beauty/exterior.

Jenny June said...

... you should be a filmmaker. you're very keen on detail... it reminded me of that film i told you about today, "kiss". it holds the same significance to me. i realy enjoyed this one. thanks for writing it.


p.s. this counts as "10000000" comments. lol

Anonymous said...

i like how you're really detailed in this blog. and i truely do find it amazing in what this tree taught you. for me, i learn from what people do or say. their actions or words motivate and inspire me to do anything. hehe but i guess i just really like the fact you were able to learn a lesson from something that doesnt talk, or show emotion like we do. lol i wish i could be able to do that. but in my opinion, even after reading your inspiring blog, i would still continue to see anything or that tree just as it is. i guess its due to the fact, i prefer to notice things that come to or comfort me. as in people, my friends, my family, etc...yes that tree is alive, but i would prefer to hear something or someone that could talk and show some sign it hears and understands me. i guess thats why i prefer people over inanimate things, because they show emotion thats easier to read.
and btw will you name him(the tree)?